About This File
- Automatically update/modify content and member attributes, statuses, and properties
- Automatically send emails, create conversations, and send notifications
- Add your own custom data fields to any content, categories, or members
- Build relationships between fields and content to keep data synchronized
- Create rule sets that work together to form automated workflows
- Define your own custom actions that can be used in rules
- Schedule actions to happen at specific times (one-time or recurring)
- Schedule bulk processing routines for content and members on your site
- Share and refine your rules with other communities using import/export
- WHEN: New content is posted
- IF: Content author’s post count equals 1
- THEN: Send “Congratulations, Welcome to our community!” email
This will send all new members a welcome email after their first post.
Rules also allows you to attach new “custom data” fields to any member, content container, or content type in your system which you can use to create all new features and behaviors on your site that go beyond what was ever imagined with the core IPS suite. For example, you can create a new “integer” data field for members and call it “Prestige”. Then you can create a rule such as:
- WHEN: Reputation is given
- IF: Member giving reputation belongs to the “Elder” member group
- THEN: Add the reputation value to the member’s “Prestige” field
Congratulations, you’ve just created a brand new type of reputation system. And to take that example a step further, you could write another rule such as:
- WHEN: Member’s “Prestige” is updated
- IF: “Prestige” is greater than 100 (and) Member is not already an Elder
- THEN: Change the members group to Elder
You have just created a whole new social promotion system within your community! The possibilities of what you can do with rules are only limited by your imagination.
- Rules Starter Pack
- Member Pip Ranks System
- Auto Join Collaborations
- Move Topic Between Collaborations
- 8 Hour Lock Forum Game
- Topic Ban Members
- Rules Cookbook on IPS Guru
- Over 500 built in events, conditions, and actions for stock IPS products and contributed apps.
- Rule actions can be configured to happen in real time or at a future time.
- Schedule and unscheduled actions from inside of rules or manually through your ACP.
- Built in lists of “replacement tokens” for including variable data in text entry fields (like email content)
- Fully extensible by other apps and plugins to add new tokens, events, conditions, and actions.
- Look for Rules Expansion Packs in the marketplace which add new events/conditions/actions.
- Create your own custom actions within the rules app which can be invoked by rules.
- Create your own custom data fields for any entity on your site to manipulate with rules.
- Rules can be grouped together into rule groups and rule sets for easy management.
- Easily import and export rules and sets to share with friends or distribute as your own rule packs.
- Built-in rule debugging console for full visibility of what your rules are doing on your system.
- Built in rules error and performance logging console.
Complete Stock ECA List:
Standard Content Driven Events Content has been created or updated Content has been approved Content has been pinned / unpinned Content has been featured / unfeatured Content has been locked / unlocked Content has been hidden / unhidden Content has been reported Content has been deleted Content author has changed Content Item has been published / unpublished Content Item has been moved Content Items are being merged Content Item tags have been updated Content Item is being viewed Standard Custom Events Custom data has been updated Custom event has been triggered Standard Member Driven Events Member logged in / out of system Member account is created Member profile is updated Member is flagged as spammer Member is unflagged as spammer Member is banned Member is unbanned Member account is validated Member accounts being merged Member account is deleted Member receives reputation points Member has been given a warning Standard Global Events Any record is created or updated in the database Any record is deleted from the database Any page is being viewed Standard Content Conditions Content is of a certain type Content has a particular status ( pinned, locked, featured, etc ) Content has a particular author Content has particular tags Content attribute values ( comment count, start date, last post, etc ) Content is in a particular container ( Forum, Category, etc ) Standard Member Conditions Member is in certain member group(s) Member has a particular status ( validated, banned, etc ) Member attribute values ( post count, join date, title, etc ) Member is following another member Member is ignoring another member Standard Global Conditions String values ( starts with, contains, ends with, etc ) Number values ( greater than, less than, equal to, etc ) Truth values ( is true, is false, is not empty, etc ) Value type ( string, integer, currency, etc ) Array (list) values ( list length, list contains, etc ) Date comparisons ( before, after, on, etc ) Object comparisons ( object class, object subclass, etc ) Board Status ( Offline / Online ) Execute Custom PHP Code Standard Content Actions Modify content tags ( add to, remove from, set explicitly ) Pin / unpin content Feature / unfeature content Lock / unlock content Hide / unhide content Delete content Change content author Move content to a new container Create new content Create new comment Standard Custom Actions Trigger custom action Update custom data value Standard Member Actions Change primary group of member Add secondary group(s) to member Remove secondary group(s) from member Set secondary group(s) on member Change member title Flag / unflag member as spammer Ban / unban member Prune member Standard Global Actions Send an email Create new private conversation Create new member notification Display inline message on page Redirect to another page Delete a scheduled action Execute Custom PHP Code
New in Version 1.1.x
- New range of custom data input fields for public/admin use
- Limit custom data fields by category/container
- Set member group permissions on custom data fields
- View complete overview summaries of rules and rulesets
- Choose content items from autocomplete form input
New in Version 1.2.x
- added ability to manually schedule custom actions
- added ability to schedule custom actions on a recurring basis
- added ability to bulk process records with custom actions
- added new table filters to scheduled actions page
What's New in Version 1.4.2 See changelog
- fixed problem with member custom data fields defaulting to "Guest" member
- fixed SQL error caused by importing rules that were exported prior to the 'enable recursion' feature addition
New Features in 1.4.x!
- Custom actions can now be configured and used as REST API endpoints with a flip of a switch
- API response parameters can be set using rules actions for REST API responses
- New events added for when active records are copied
- Added leaderboard days won count to member tokens
- Added support for checking tag prefixes in tag conditions
- Added option to disable recursion protection on conditions/actions for special cases
- Added \IPS\Http\Url as an object type to be accepted for custom action arguments
- Added comments and reviews as new options to attach custom data fields to